Friday, February 11, 2011

It's not fair ...

...that I should inspired to post two writings in one day when I go for so many days without a word to say to anyone. But I have been watching the movie, "Julia and Julie", and wondering if I could do something out of the ordinary every day for one year that would be worthy of writing about. No sooner had I wondered it than I decided, "no". Not just "no" but an emphatic "NO!"

I often feel as Julie felt - that I have ADD. I only wish I had felt it first. At least if I had claimed it first, I would have a really great excuse for not finishing what I start. If I claim it now, I will be perceived as a copy-cat.

Yes, much better to have an excuse that is not of one's own making than to admit that I lack the courage to see things through. Because, you know, once something is done, it is done. Others then feel compelled to pass judgement on the completed project. I don't know why that is. I don't finish things to suit others, but it seems they invariably feel it is so. Therefore, if one can postpone completion, one can postpone judgement day.

I knew a writer, once, who made the commitment to write one poem a day. The courage in that was his willingness to accept his own imperfections. He was willing to show himself less than perfect.

I still struggle with imperfection. I see it in myself readily enough. But I enjoy the comfort of deluding myself that others do not - cannot - see it.

So, what did I do today that is worthy of being put to paper?

I drank two glasses of wine while watching Julie channel Julia.

Different for me because I usually drink one glass - when I drink at all. Different because I usually don't drink at all.

Although I seem to be able to write much more when I do.

Perhaps the wine will encourage me to channel a writer. Yes, at this point, most any writer would do.

But Dorothy Parker would do best.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home