Tuesday, December 14, 2004

There's a cold moon smiling in a blue denim sky ...

... and the weatherman says 'a hard freeze tonight'. Seems drying trends came this way in a big way, and with the dry cold winter wind the temps are dropping. Last night we sank as low as 32 Fahrenheit degrees, but tonight we will see it drop to around 25, with wind chill … well, if you’re unfortunate enough to be outside when the temperature drops that low, wind chill isn’t much of a factor for you, anyway.

Since I must be at work by 7:15 in the morning, I will be one of the unfortunates. That’s what they make coats for … and gloves … and stockings and boots and socks and long underwear, if need be. I have some of each, although they don’t get much wear.

Last night I brought in the delicate vegetation, except for the ficus tree - it’s wearing a trash bag, cinched tight around the pot, lest some wily breeze finds its way in. Bella the Cat thinks all these plants are just for her and has spent most of the hours since huddled down between the pots, staring through the spider fronds, green eyes shining with delight.

I’ve covered the faucets and drained the outside pipes and taken the gumbo out of the freezer for supper tonight. Except for the gumbo, I usually don’t go through this routine until sometime in January, but this winter is following a schedule all its own.

So, I’m just reading the sky and awaiting my instructions.


2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Anything growing in our garden has to be hardy! If it can't survive a frost, it just don't get planted!

We've had one cold spell, but otherwise the winter has been nasty, wet and cold though above freezing. But snow is forecast this weekend. We can see the high moors from our back windows, and they are the first to get snow. They look lovely in snow, all the walls here are drystone walls, and show as black lines in the snow. A very monochromatic picture. Even the sheep are whitish, with black faces. The farms are built of dark stone - millstone grit, a hard and unforgiving stone. Further south in the Peak District its limestone, so its called the White Peak - whereas we are the Dark Peak.

You have to be tough to live up there!

That's enough information that you didn't want to know!
Love from Dianthus

1:46 PM  
Blogger mi'chele said...

Actually, Di, I appreciate the information as it gives a comparison to where and how others experience their world. Such a vast space, so many similarities, so many differences. And to imagine, just a few years ago you and I would never have met and gotten to know each other's world on a personal level.

I do not envy your harsh-sounding winter. I will take my own, thank you. Just your description of it makes my bones ache. Thanks for reading and commenting! I hope all is well with you and yours.

m

4:51 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home