Monday, December 06, 2004

Music to Raise the Spirit (of the Dead or Almost)

The suggestion was made recently, by my older daughter- who is more observant than I sometimes give her credit for - that I should listen less to depressing music and more to music of an upbeat and lilting nature. Actually, what she said was, “If I listened to that music all day long, I’d want to kill myself!” Since the thought of self-demise has crossed my mind a time or two in my life, I wondered if she might be onto something. So, I began a campaign to listen only to optimistic, uplifting, inspirational tunes.

I began with Yo-Yo Ma and a bit of Beethoven, Bach and Mozart “show tunes”. The latter, I thought, would be a ‘two birds with one stone’ – having read that the music of Mozart increases the learning potential of the listener, opens the brain pan or some such thing. Mine has felt a little tight, lately.

It was not altogether a fruitless experiment, in spite of some poor choices. I actually felt my outlook brighten. But, then, we had a few days of uncommon heat and blinding sun, so one could not be totally convinced of a connection.

Therefore, strictly for the sake of scientific study, and being once again consumed in layers of partly cloudy and chance of showers, I turned off the CDs and switched on the radio, tuned to a station playing only Christmas music. Now, tell me, who can be sad and disheartened when inundated with the lyrics and tones of “I’m Dreaming of a White Christmas” or “Chestnuts Roasting on an Open Fire?” And if that doesn’t get the love light burning, there’s always “Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer.”

It’s not that I have a particular complaint about the season, or even about the music – if a song were played, say, once every six or eight hours. However, the station apparently has but a few Christmas albums, something stuck back in the closet for lo’ these many years, and it is these few that are played over and over and over. I counted, in one hour, three “White Christmases” one “Chestnut” and two “Rudolphs” with his blinkin' nose!

To be quite honest, I’m not certain I can handle this much happiness. I’m thinking it might be about time for an evening of Townes Van Zandt and Lucinda Williams, maybe a little Simon and Garfunkel – sitting in my rocker, lights off, wrapped securely in that old, worn Army shirt with the cut off sleeves that served some time in Vietnam, and a glass of wine in hand. Now, that’s my idea of a ‘fun’ ‘uplifting’ evening at home.

Cheers!


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home