Tuesday, August 24, 2004

I Need a Smaller Plate

I had an appointment with my hairdresser/counselor today. I used to go for therapy a couple of times a month. You know, to deal with all that dysfunction we are so famous for here in the South. But I have learned over the years it is just as effective to go get my hair cut. So, I schedule regular sessions, and she cuts, colors, goops and twirls.

All the while she listens, nods in the affirmative at all the right places and pulls out the common sense when my own is running low. She also makes a perfect cup of coffee and offers wine in both red and white, chilled or not, as you like it. The music is low and soothing, the hair washing is a total scalp massage, and the ambience is … ambient.

Today I went bald. I walked in with more stress than I normally choose to carry and way more than I want at this time in my life, and I walked out lighter than air. Partially due to the severe lessening of tresses, but mostly due to the severe lessening of stresses.

Emma, the name by which my therapist/hairdresser is addressed, helped me see it is not that my plate is too full. The problem is I need a smaller plate. I am filling a plate that would feed a 400 pound Amazon gorilla, and I really only need something the size of a saucer. Because no matter the size, I will fill it to overflowing.

But overflowing a saucer would require a lot less stress than overfilling, say, a turkey platter.

And I just might be able to carry more hair on the head where it matters the most.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey, this is Rick. You're just an overachiever, and I don't think there is a cure for
that condition. The world is run by tired people I heard someone say once. You wouldn't be happy unless you had too much to do. The alternative is to live in a rut, live in sameness, never grow, never suffer. (Suffering makes artists) Just my thoughts. Take care!

8:32 PM  
Blogger mi'chele said...

Rick, I agree in part, although it seems you are talking about the me I used to be. My priorties are changing - I no longer need so desperately to justify my existence. I need only to live the life I have. And I have little time to do that in my current job situation.

And I need a weekend in a tent and sleeping bag. Soon

7:51 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home