Monday, July 05, 2004

Summer Awakening

Well, the rain has stopped. For now. I’m not sure how many days we had rain unceasing, as I was out of town briefly at the beginning of June. But I returned on June 12th and know for a fact it rained every day since, up until yesterday. In all honesty, the rain Saturday was but a mist, not enough to deter me from cutting the grass that had grown like - well, like weeds.

The down side to that is now we will have unrelenting heat. At least the rain cooled things off, relatively speaking. As I cut grass, I found myself anxious to make the round and get back to the shade under the trees - a respite all too brief, as I made that curve and headed back, once again, into sunlight‘s beating heat. Sunscreen is a daily necessity when living this close to the equator. We are subtropical, you know - as I remind my children.

The upside is I can plan outings that do not involve umbrellas.

This week the plan is to go with a friend of mine to Grand Isle for the day. We will sit on the beach and discuss The Awakening, by Kate Chopin and how it does or does not apply to life in general and our lives in particular. We will contemplate the ways in which “the voice of the sea speaks to the soul” and discuss the difficulty of living a life in response to our own senses - one that does not necessarily conform to tradition; senses that are not dulled by the demands of convention.

I will continue my contemplation of the role of females in this 21st century South, and wonder if, really, women have come so far from the days of plantations and pantaloons. Or if many are still struggling to breathe underneath the corsets.

And we will let the breath of the sea refresh us.




8 Comments:

Blogger Ossian said...

I find this kind of report fascinating. It's wonderful to hear about the weather. Maybe I'm unusual in that respect, or more likely it's the way you describe things that brings them to life. I must go now and search for more reports like this.

1:23 PM  
Blogger mi'chele said...

Os, thanks for reading and commenting. I guess I should have thanked others, but I am still trying to learn the etiquette of the blog. So, if I have offended anyone or made anyone feel their comments were not read and appreciated, I hope they will read this and know that I cherish every last one of them!

Oh - and you are a funny guy! In a very precious sort of way.

9:48 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Dix, it's Jenny here! Wow you have one of these blog things - I'm so chuffed to see what you're up to! I'm going to read it right through tomorrow. Keep writing girl. Jenny L x

4:13 PM  
Blogger mi'chele said...

Oh, Jenny, girl! I'm so glad you found me!

5:08 AM  
Blogger mi'chele said...

Jenny, my own life is quite boring enough. I just live it with excitement!

9:05 AM  
Blogger Ossian said...

Boredom is greatly under-rated as an experience. I know somebody who longs for boredom. When stress is everywhere, sometimes boredom could be like an oasis in a desert. I'm never happy unless I'm bored.

Not really, I just said that because it sounds funny. I could just as easily say, some people are never happy unless they're miserable. People have often commented on the anguish of being in love, and how they would gladly step back into that fire, but... Boredom is safer.

9:40 AM  
Blogger Ossian said...

Jenny, I met a very nice Austrian girl who learned to speak English in Cardiff. Most amusing accent. German / Welsh. It's lovely though. She's a cousin of the writer Josh Davis. He's here in London at present.

I hope you do start a blog. Contrary to what you said above, your writing is always marvellous.

9:46 AM  
Blogger mi'chele said...

Os, you are a hoot, buddy! And you are right about Jenny and her writing. Doesn't have to be about the real world, anyway. Almost nothing ever is. 'Tis why we write - to embellish the doldrums.

10:23 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home